Trio Named Hobey Hat Trick Finalists
Two seniors - St. Lawrence's Greg Carey and St. Cloud State's Nic Dowd - along with national leading scorer Johnny Gaudreau of Boston College have been named the three members of this year's Hobey Hat Trick, the finalists for the 2014 Hobey Baker Memorial Award.
The Hobey will be presented on Friday, April 11, at 6 p.m. at the Loews Hotel in Philadelphia, the day before the national championship game. The presentation will air live on Comcast in the Philadelphia area, on nhl.com and on hobeybakeraward.com.
The three finalists were selected from the initial list of 10 candidates by the 27-member selection committee and an additional round of online fan balloting to determine this year’s Hobey Baker winner. Criteria for the award includes: displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, strength of character on and off the ice, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.
A brief look at each of the finalists:
Greg Carey, St. Lawrence (Hamilton, Ont./Burlington-OJHL/PHX)
- ECAC scoring champion who led the nation in assists (39) until last weekend
- ECAC co-Player of the Year
- History major with a 3.68 GPA
- Signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Coyotes upon the completion of his senior season
Nic Dowd, St. Cloud State (Huntsville, Ala./Indiana-USHL/LA)
- First-team All-NCHC selection and the conference's Defensive Forward of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- A bio-medicine major carrying a 3.61 GPA
- Recently signed with the Los Angeles Kings, who had drafted him
Johnny Gaudreau, Boston College (Carneys Point, N.J./Dubuque-USHL/CGY)
- Leads the nation in goals, assists and points
- Hockey East Player of the Year for the second straight season
- Tied Paul Kariya's Hockey East record with points in 31 consecutive games
- Led Boston College to the Frozen Four